New Board Member Brief
May 4, 2021 @ 5:15 pm – 6:00 pm
So, you are serving on a Nonprofit Board, Now WHAT?
New board members have great enthusiasm for the mission of the organization that they join. They are ready to get to work and excited to help in whatever way they can. They have likely received an orientation on how the nonprofit raises funds, its programming, and what responsibilities the new board member is expected to serve. This is valuable information sets up new board members for success and to be great assets to their organizations.
Often left out of these orientations is the legal role a board member takes on and what is the relationship of the board member to staff, the rest of the board, and volunteers. This half-hour presentation orients new board members on the basic principles on what it means to serve on a nonprofit board. The presentation will also help create a peer network of board members to help foster support.
Some of the topics covered include:
- Primary Roles of a nonprofit board member
- Three Legal Standards to adhere to
- Governing Documents
- What should the Board of Directors and Staff expect from you?
- What does “Nonprofit” mean?
- Myths about nonprofits
Time Commitment: 30-minute Zoom Presentation with 15 minutes for questions and answers.
This workshop will happen on a quarterly basis and is free of charge.
- Please check your junk/spam folder for the Zoom information 48 hours in advance or add Brian Thysell, Program Manager at email@example.com as a contact to ensure delivery to your inbox.