It’s February and love is in our hearts. We’ve been pulling petals and counting the ways we collectively spread love throughout our community with your support, annually.
• TIN CUP CHALLENGE
2017 marked the 10-year anniversary of the Tin Cup Challenge, with our most successful fundraising results to date. Last year, the Tin Cup Challenge raised a record-breaking $1,538,727, culminating in over $11 million raised during the first decade of this community-funded grant program. The impact this kind of charitable giving has made in Teton Valley over the past 10 years is almost unquantifiable. It has changed the very nature of our community, weaving generosity and kindness into the fabric of the way of life for over 10,000 residents. In late August at our annual Tin Cup Challenge Awards Party, we were thrilled to offer a 55% Matching Grant from the Challenger Fund – our highest grant percentage to date.
• COMPETITIVE GRANTS PROGRAMS
In 2017, our Competitive Grants Programs awarded a total of $44,383 in support of 19 innovative projects and programs serving residents of Teton Valley through the following programs:
• YOUTH PHILANTHROPY: This program, offered in partnership with Teton High School, provides students with a keen understanding of the granting process as they thoughtfully review applications, meet with nonprofit leaders from applying organizations and award $5,000 to local charities.
• SPRING COMPETITIVE GRANTS CYCLE: The Community Foundation received 26 applications from local nonprofits seeking funding in 2017. The Grants Committee awarded a total of $24,450 to 12 local nonprofits.
• FALL COMPETITIVE GRANTS CYCLE: The Community Foundation received 16 applications from local nonprofits seeking funding in 2017. The Grants Committee awarded a total of $13,933 to 7 local nonprofits.
• NONPROFIT EXCELLENCE PROGRAMS
• WORKSHOPS: We believe it is not enough to simply provide funding for local nonprofits. We feel it is also important to offer professional development opportunities for local nonprofit board members and staff – training them to act as responsible stewards of the resources they’ve received. In 2017, the Community Foundation of Teton Valley offered four professionally facilitated workshops attended by 80 individuals, representing over 35 local nonprofits.
•NONPROFIT BEST PRACTICES: During the course of 2017, we met with 36 local nonprofits seeking advice regarding nonprofit best practices and assisted these organizations in finding resources to strengthen their organizational capacity and stability.
• NONPROFITLISTSERV: We administer the Teton Valley Nonprofit Listserv, a free email and information sharing service designed to further promote our local nonprofits’ efforts in our community. In all, 300 messages were posted to this service throughout 2017.
• SPECIAL EVENT EQUIPMENT LENDING PROGRAM: Throughout the year, the Community Foundation offers local nonprofits an equipment lending program – reducing the need to purchase or rent expensive items such as event tents, tables, chairs and A/V equipment. Over 25 local nonprofits kept their operating costs down by taking advantage of this program in 2017.
• DONOR ADVISED & AGENCY FUND MANAGEMENT
We are pleased to serve as a trusted resource for donors and nonprofits seeking professional fund management, in partnership with the Community Foundation of Jackson Hole. In 2017, we enjoyed an increase in the utilization of our fund management services, adding 2 new Donor Advised Funds and 2 new Agency Funds. As of December 31st, 2017 we managed a total of 29 funds, with total invested assets in excess of $2.3 million.
Because of your generosity, the culture of giving blooms year-round in Teton Valley – giving love to those who need it most, when they need it most. In this way we continue to grow our community garden, cultivating nonprofits who fulfill critical community needs with necessary sustenance and enriching support – so that each can bloom to their full potential.